Thursday, April 11, 2013

Details and more Details



Often times getting accepted into medical school is distilled down into taking the MCAT and sending in your application.  It sounds pretty simple, but there are many details that you have to account for along the way, so that you can ensure your success.

The current detail that I am running after is finding shadowing opportunities.  Last year's cycle I was told that my six years of medical interpreting at the local clinic wasn't a truly representative experience for the American Medical system, so their recommendation was to find more shadowing opportunities.

I have already exhausted my personal contacts and have been forced to rely on recommendations of friends.  This has probably been one of the most difficult things I have had to do.  My schedule is very inflexible due to my full time job and the fact that most physicians (that I know) work a traditional schedule.  I also find it hard to ask other people favors.  I personally would rather be in the position to grant a favor, rather than accept one.

Fortunately I have been able to rework my weekly schedule into four days of 10 hour shifts, instead of five days of 8 hour shifts.  I am now able to pursue a more aggressive plan for securing a steady shadowing gig.  The final roadblock for me now, is to find a physician who is willing to let me follow them around.

Update: Not even an hour after I posted this, I heard back from one of the physicians I have contacted.  It looks like tomorrow I get to shadow in the OR at a Neuro Clinic.  I am very excited to take part in this.

No comments:

Post a Comment