Friday, June 4, 2010

Injured Obese and Motivationally Challenged

In High School I could have been an "Iron Man". At the time I was cross training long distance running with competitive swimming. I cannot count the times I would lose my calves in the swimming pool to cramps after having just finished an aggressive cross country workout.

Now 15 years later working in a corporation behind a desk, post ACL surgery, and 60 pounds heavier I sit here thinking I should do something for my health, my daily outlook, and of course my appearance to my wife. I remember forsaking running after my knee surgery thinking that it was "too stressful" for my joints. Soon the swimming was dropped because I over trained and hurt my shoulder, then justified it further saying "Finding an indoor pool is just too difficult".

I still maintained fitness with some heavy martial arts, but the lack of goals and the training without ever using the "skills" I was practicing became boring and disillusioning. Finally I even quit that, became sedentary, but still ate like an athlete (Lord have mercy!). I recognize I have a responsibility to myself and my family to stay healthy and fit, but it seems as time marches by my motivation for these things has begun to wane.

Over the weekend I went to borders and glanced down to see a book about triathlons that someone else had been perusing. As I read through it I thought to myself -- "These people must be crazy" For one, many of them get up early in the morning just to train. Getting up early just for work is challenge enough for me already. I have to admit, that I have never been a morning person. Another thing I noticed the workouts they were doing. I remember them vividly from my best years of training. I remember puking after some of them, I distinctly remember pain accompanying them as well.

Something stood out, however, as I read through. There was a consensus that training and working towards a goal was fulfilling. Completing a challenged that may have seemed impossible was euphoric and to many it became addictive. As I thought back on the euphoria that winning races and competing used to bring me I sort of understood what these people were saying....but an Ironman? They are nuts, every single one of them!

How is it, that insanity kept brewing within my noggin until today I thought to myself -- I should try training for one, "just to see what it's like". Do I now qualify for an award in masochism? I know that currently I can't swim 500 yards before my muscles will seize up and I will be reduced to floating worthlessly in the water. I have always dreaded the first week back in the pool, because those have always been the most painful moments of my life. Swimming is my love and hate. I just hate getting back in shape, but I do love to swim.

In all seriousness, I will probably never do a Triathlon. The thought scares me, but I admit to myself that I need goals, I need a schedule to follow, and I need something to look forward to. I hate the gym, because lifting weights is boring, running and swimming are similarly repetitive and can be boring...but if you have a race you are moving towards training doesn't seem like a bad idea (if you don't want to embarrass yourself that is.) The side effects from the training are what I am really looking for -- I need to lose weight, I need the extra energy, I need to do something beside watching (and participating in) Man vs. Food for 2 - 5 hours after work.

So then, I hereby inaugurate a new training schedule. I call it "Project Get in Shape and Maybe Possibly Perchance do a Triathlon in the Process.." (It's complicated I know). I will be following the SuperCoach Ultra Distance Training Plan. I know I seem pessimistic in my post, but distance doesn't really scare me, in fact I think I am a decent distance/endurance athlete. The scary part for me is the muscle pain I will endure at the outset and of course being consistent!!!!

Would that I had a few friends to keep my accountable. One or two crazies, who have walked the fiery path of coals before me...

1 comment:

  1. Triathlon's aren't impossible. I tell a lot of people that they're an activity for the indecisive (I want to run! No wait! I want to swim! I want to ride bikes!). If I can do them anyone can.

    If you're in Lawrence you can get a yearly pass at the Lawrence Indoor Aquatic Center for $20 a month. I'm not sure of all the places to swim in KC, but I believe Shawnee Mission Park is open on Tuesdays and is a good place to practice open water swimming. Heritage Park and Shawnee Mission Park have good bike trails, but you will want to talk to a real cyclist for advice in that area. Running - you can do anywhere.

    It sounds like you've done this before, so you just have to remind yourself how it works. Take it slowly at first and where your line is, then push that line towards the goal. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete